Depression can go undetected for years, resulting in a person feeling stressed or unhappy without realizing that depression is the root cause.
The reason behind this is that they may simply be unable to recognize that feelings of irritability, neediness, and anger actually stem from depression. In many cases, individuals become hyper-aware of difficulties in their interpersonal relationships or struggles at work, not realizing that depression is what’s causing them to react this way.
Depression has many faces and can manifest differently depending on the individual. Some common signs and symptoms can include:
- Sadness with or without crying spells
- Irritability and/or frustration
- Feelings of hopelessness and helplessness
- Difficulty concentrating or focusing
- Insomnia or sleeping too much
- Overeating or loss of appetite
- Reduced sex drive
- Thoughts of death or suicide
Sometimes, when dealing with depression, it’s common for family, friends, or even the person affected to question why they can’t simply “snap out of it.” They might even think that it’s all in their head. However, it’s important to understand that depression is a real condition caused by physiological and psychological processes in the brain and body.
One doesn’t just “snap out of it,” and that thought only leads to denial and dismissal which goes against our innate ability to cope.
What is the Cause of Depression?
So many things can be the cause of depression, but some common factors can include:
- Faulty mood regulation by the brain
- Genetics and family history of depression or other disorders
- Stressful or major life events
- Psychological factors like low self-esteem or negative thought patterns
- Certain physical conditions like chronic illnesses
Treatment can include body-mind techniques such as EMDR and ETT offer direct tools to affect significant change on all three levels: physiologically, behaviorally, and psychologically. Healing may seem impossible, but with Engracia’s guidance and your desire to heal, peace and calm can return to your daily experience.